Improving access to nutrition
Our objective is to ensure that the children we support have the nutrition they need for optimal growth and development.
To do this, we work with our community partners to lay the groundwork that leads to family food security (i.e. continuous access to good food). Some of the activities involved in this are:
- Conducting nutritional assessments, baseline studies and evaluations
- Providing training and support to households and communities
- Maternal health, and pre-natal, post-natal nutrition education
- Provision of nutritional meals and supplements
- Networking with local health institutions
We never forget the direct relationship between a child’s present and future level of health, and the nourishment available to him or her. In all the countries we support, we ensure that good nutrition is a constant in the lives of children. Whether it’s three healthy meals for a teen shelter in Bolivia, an after-school snack program in Alberta, livestock to farming families in Ethiopia, a school lunch program in Ghana, an egg production business in Haiti or high-nutrient supplements for children affected by HIV/AIDS in Uganda, children get the nutrition they need.
Take a look at the photo gallery in each country we support, and you’ll see evidence of some of the ways we help children thrive by increasing their access to nutrition.